There are two fundamental missions of NRCVEE
- To identify, develop and disseminate techniques by which engineering students and practicing engineers can be motivated to imbibe human values and appreciate their impact on technology development, professional ethics and human welfare.
- To undertake systematic and robust research, particularly based on Indian philosophical and knowledge system, to understand human potential and well-being and render evidence-based findings with micro level (individual and community) and macro level (policy and societal) implications.
National Resource Centre for Value Education in Engineering (NRCVEE) was established at IIT Delhi in 2001 with active involvement of the Ministry of Human Resource Development. The centre was created with an objective of functioning as a National Resource Centre for imparting Value-based education in engineering institutes. The role of the centre was envisaged as creation of an awareness in the technical community that skills and human values are essentially complementary.
Professor PL Dhar and Late Professor RR Gaur spearheaded the establishment of NRCVEE and were Founder Heads of NRCVEE. Both the Professors belonged to Department of Mechanical Engineering, IIT Delhi. Both Professors were visionaries in the field of human values and nedevoured to bring the same in the tertiary education system, particuarly, for engineering students.
- Preparing innovative resource material for value education in engineering, such as monographs, books, video films and practical training modules.
- To undertake research in the area of “Interaction of Science, Technology and Human Values” and to promote an understanding of its implications.
- To promote the appreciation of professional ethics among students and practising engineers through case studies.
- Organising workshops to train teachers of various technical institutions in this field.
- Liaison with various organisations engaged in similar activities.
- Organising Symposia, Seminars and Short Term Courses on relevant topics to promote awareness on such issues among engineering professionals.
- To help the academic community at IIT Delhi and other such institutions to develop appropriate academic programs for sensitising students towards value education and professional ethics.
2001-2004 : Professor P.L. Dhar (Founder Head of the Centre)
2004-2008 : Late Professor R.R. Gaur (Founder Head of the Centre)
2008-2011 : Professor M.R. Ravi
2012-2017 : Professor Sangeeta Kohli
2017-2021 : Professor Rahul Garg
2021 – present : Professor Purnima Singh
Visit this link for the current list of faculty associated with NRCVE